A pull request was submitted recently that is a work in progress to move
away from Boost.  This is something the team has expressed a desire for in
the past (although as a maintainer of two boost libraries it makes me sad!)
as will will reduce project dependencies.

https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1448

This work would be GREATLY simplified if we came to a decision to name
0.11.0 as the last version that will support C++03, and the next release
will require C++11 and would not use boost in generated or library code.
I'm not sure I would be okay with such a decision, but I'm floating the
idea out there for general comment from anyone and everyone.

This would probably force people up to gcc-4.8 or gcc-4.9 at a minimum on
Unix, not sure which version of clang (maybe 3.4?), and I believe we might
need to require Visual Studio 2013 or later, depending on how much C++11 we
use it could go up to 2015.

Libraries in Boost could be quite useful in the future, for example
boost::asio and boost::beast.  If we disconnect from boost completely then
we would not have access to these.  I suppose we could make them optional
servers or transports that would need to be enabled at build time, and if
enabled at build time would require boost, so perhaps I'm just being
paranoid there.

Thanks,

Jim