From: Randy Abernethy
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 7:01 PM
To: dev@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Re: Thrift compiler "plug-in" mode

Ditto, simple is faster, more reliable, more maintainable, more ...
Let's remove the plugin feature.

I would put rewriting the compiler very low on the priority list.
Maybe incrementally updating the existing compiler code to C++11/17 as
we go makes sense but I don't see rewriting it as a good use of the
limited contributor base's time.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:58 AM Allen George <allen.geo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The company I work at uses Thrift (as well as scrooge), and we don’t use
> the plug ins.
>
> That said, the previous company I worked at used plugins for the
> _protobuf_
> compiler, but that’s a completely different model, and the use of plugins
> there is the norm IIRC.
>
> I’d vote for simplifying the code base and removing plugins.
>
> Allen
>

> On January 2, 2019 at 08:43:40, James E. King III (jk...@apache.org)
> wrote:
> The addition of a "plug-in" compiler mode has made the build of the
> compiler fairly complex. There are now two kinds of compilers - one with
> all the code generators statically linked, and one where all the code
> generators are dynamically linked. I believe the original goal was to
> allow third parties to add their own code generator without having to
> maintain their own fork of thrift?
>
> As part of all the CI builds we effectively disable the plug-in part of
> the
> compiler. It had to be disabled for all distribution builds as well.
> Nobody distributes a plug-in compiler. As such, if anyone is using it,
> they are already building their own compiler, so they are maintaining
> their
> own fork. Therefore there is no real benefit.
>
> I believe the added complexity that this mode brings to the project
> overshadows any possible benefits of allowing for compiler plug-ins with a
> linked compiler like the one we have. This new compiler mode hasn't been
> touched in a couple years now and only one person has expressed interest
> in
> pull requests.
>
> If we want to have a more extensible compiler environment, we should
> consider rewriting it in another more flexible language like python. It
> would be easy for folks to extend it from there, however it would force a
> requirement on python to generate code.
>
> I'd really like us to consider eliminating the plug-in mode of the
> compiler
> to simplify the compiler build and have fewer overall build targets.
> Thoughts? Does anybody use the compiler plug-in mode?
>
> - Jim

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC