Thanks Christopher, I think it's a great idea. It's certainly better than IRC
and mailing lists for attracting new contributors.

I went ahead and created the channel (#thrift). I'll also add a link to it in
the new website.

Everyone, feel free to join and participate as much (or as little) as you
desire. If you have an @apache.org account, you can signup directly here:
https://the-asf.slack.com/signup