On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> > For what it's worth, you don't actually need to release more frequently to
> > declare additional versions as current or active. You could still make that
> > rare, and only do it for very critical issues.
>
> When there is opportunity people will use it, I'd guess.
>

> > There still might be value
> > in declaring some specific earlier releases as stable and current so people
> > who have specific requirements (like a specific older GCC version or older
> > Java version) know which versions are appropriate to use.
>
> +1 I'm personally fine with that. Under the premise that I don't get
> more work as a result, of course.
>

> > Sometimes just
> > opening the door for users a bit more can help grow the contributor base
> > that will eventually help with releasing.
>
> Not sure I can follow. Could you explain that a bit more? I somehow miss
> the connection between "we now have two more branches actively
> maintained" and the unleashed stream of contributions we should expect
> as a result. I mean, I would love to see that happen, that's for sure.

You said it better than I did above: "When there is opportunity people
will use it, I'd guess."
The idea is that if you create the opportunity to contribute to those
branches, that helps attract contributors. But I would not expect an
"unleashed stream". Maybe a very slight trickle. :)

> > Related: is the release prep/staging process automated or documented at all?
>
> Sure. Pretty good actually thanks to Jim King.
>
> https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/master/doc/ReleaseManagement.md
>
> That was the only documentation I had when I took over that task (more
> or less by accident) and I somehow managed to get it done. So that
> document can't be too bad :-)

That's a pretty good document. I think it might be good to put it up
on the website in the developer section
https://thrift.apache.org/developers . I can also see some places that
could be automated a bit more. But there's also some gaps (like
publishing libthrift jars to Maven Central through
repository.apache.org). I'm somewhat interested in contributing to
this, but don't want to create JIRA issues for everything, as that
feels like double the work and my time is very limited. I'd rather
just do PRs. I wonder if that is preventing other contributors from
contributing more also.