Hi All

I'm currently pondering trying to add support for using ffmpeg to provide metadata on video (and audio) files. This would be useful for me for the file formats which we don't currently support, which is generally the ones where there's no handy Java library to call for them.

At the moment, it looks like we do have some command line support, in the form of ExternalParser, but that's focused only on the text extraction part. It also looks like it might want a few tweaks to make it easier to use.

I was therefore thinking of doing some work to improve it, and then adding in metadata too (likely via regexps or similar). One thought was to make it possible to use ExternalParser in two ways. The first way would be to subclass it and provide the mime type, command, and metadata regexps. The other would be to provide an xml config file, which'd supply the details. Likely with both of these we'd want the parser to check for the external command, and claim not to be available if the command isn't there.

Anyone got any thoughts on this sort of thing? Anyone done something like it before?

Nick