FYI: Version 5.1.1 of the XMPCore library which is compatible with JDK 1.5/1.6
is available on Maven Central now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Ehrlich [mailto:jehrl...@adobe.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 12:15
To: dev@tika.apache.org
Subject: XMP conversion module for Tika

Hi,

As discussed in earlier threads, I have created a new Tika module ("tika-xmp")
which offers conversion of Tika Metadata to the XMP data model and I have added
the patch to TIKA-756.
The patch also contains integration with Tika-app, hooking the converter up
with the "-y" output option and therefor providing XMP output for Tika CLI.
Any client interested in using XMP as metadata container can use the new
module, other clients are not affected.

The module's API extends the tika-core Metadata class but also offers the
possibility to directly work with the XMP data model. This approach has been
chosen to ease the usage for existing Tika clients but also providing the
ability to work with the XMP data model if required.
The Metadata information from Tika can either be converted by mimetype-specific
converters which convert everything for their respective file formats or by a
generic converter, which will convert all full qualified properties which use
prefixes from registered namespaces, i.e. all standard namespaces like DC,
IPTC, EXIF, etc. are already supported but clients can also register custom
ones. For that purpose the API also offers the Namespace registry functionality
from the XMPCore component.
I have also provided converters for the office file formats in the patch,
allowing conversion of all properties for those file formats.

I have provided two patches to TIKA-756.
The "tika-xmp.patch" provides the extra Tika module based on the current Tika
source.
The "tika-xmp_dependsOn_TIKA929changes.patch" contains the same tika-xmp module
as offered by the other patch, but depends on the patch from TIKA-929 being
applied first.
The recommendation is to resolve TIKA-929 and then use the latter patch.

Please note: The tika-xmp module provided by the patches use the XMPCore
library available in the Maven Central repository.
Unfortunately the current version 5.1.0 has accidentally been compiled for JDK
1.7 which is not compatible with Tika. We are in the process of uploading an
update of the library with the version 5.1.1 which will solve that problem. The
Patch in TIKA-756 can only be applied when the new XMPCore version 5.1.1 is
available in Maven Central.
I will update the issues once that has happened.

Regards
Jörg

---
Jörg Ehrlich | Computer Scientist | XMP Technology | Adobe Systems |
joerg.ehrl...@adobe.com<mailto:joerg.ehrl...@adobe.com> | work: +49(40)306360