Hi Tika Dev's/PMC,

This thread is aimed at recognizing common ground shared by Any23 and Tika
in an attempt to possibly integrate Any23 into Tika.
First however it will serve a purpose for me to put this into context and
also provide some rationale behind this initiative.

It is my understanding that the Tika PMC sponsored Any23 through the Apache
Incubator until we (the Any23 PMC) were ready to graduate having made an
incubating release and having grown the community somewhat. Post
graduation, we made a 0.8.0 release in July 2013.

It is also my understanding that the logical justification for the Tika PMC
sponsoring us, was that it was envisaged (by numerous dev's) that there was
already some common ground between the aim and objectives of both projects
e.g. mime type detection, parsing, extraction of metadata, serialization,
etc. therefore with a little positive thinking and understanding of both
projects, one can clearly see the shared interests.

I am speaking on behalf of the Any23 community here when I say that we have
however come to a realization that the community is not as vibrant as we
would like. This is combined with the fact that initial/original project
dev's are not around right now to keep the project moving in a forward
direction.

It is therefore of interest to us, to approach the Tika community with the
intention of discussing a proposal to integrate Any23 code into Apache Tika.

For those interested, the Any23 project URL is http://any23.apache.org, we
also have a live service which you can use to get a feel for what Any23
actually does. It can be found at http://any23.org.

Any feedback from this community would be really appreciated, as it looks
like the alternative would be for us to take the code into the Apache
Attic... which is always a last resort.

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

--