On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org> wrote:

> Given that non-committers can already work with Git, could you explain
> what committers would gain from the move to Git which would outweigh the
> effort that SVN-using committers would have to expend with the move?

Applying patches from GitHub pull requests is kind of clunky... A
contributor sends PR, we review, make changes, accept, download a diff,
apply it, and svn commit, which is then mirrored back to GitHub.

What is our preferred way of getting new contributions? In my opinion, pull
request and merge is better than an upload/download/apply of a patch file.
On the other hand, it might be awkward to have all patches come in as pull
requests if we're referring to them from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/tika.

Being able to work on separate branches for large changes (e.g. TIKA-1445
and TIKA-1302) is very convenient.

What is the effort SVN-using committers would have to expend?

I don't mean to incite a VCS war. ;)

Have a good night,
Tyler