On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
I'm not proposing to split tika-parsers in a way that would affect the users, tika-parsers would still be there, except that it would strongly depend on tika-pdf and perhaps, when it is being built, it can have its dependencies like tika-pdf shaded in/merged in to ensure a complete backward-compatibility as far as the user expectations of tika-parsers is concerned.

We still have the additional faff of multiple "core" modules, which someone warned about in an earlier thread, and additional work for developers, and we did try pulling out the pdf parser which didn't work, and I'm finding having the Vorbis parsers in a different module + repo to be a faff

My plan doesn't involve any of those problems in phase 1 - core + parsers don't change at all, so if it doesn't work we haven't got to work hard to undo it, and people not interested aren't affected.

Alternately, if you head back to some of the earlier threads on this, and can come up with reasons why the objections raised there can be overruled, we could hack up tika parsers. (I'm trying to come up with a plan that respects previously raised issues)

Nick