Hi Tim, All
Sure, agree that Tika is not really about the transformation. etc, it is
just not what I was suggesting, even though I started with a link to IHTML
to PRD transformer. Let me just clarify one more time and I'll be happy to
move on. So, trying to put it into a practical surface:
- create a tika-format-creator (or similarly named) module
- introduce a simple generic API (similarly to the prototype API earlier in
the thread) for creating simple format specific docs and document it is
going to stay experimental for a while
- this API is not about transformation but for Tika users to create the
docs directly
- provide two implementations of this API for a start only, one for PDF,
another one for ODT. In time it may grow a bit to support few more most
used formats, no goal to support hundreds of formats. (This is why I don't
understand the maintenance concern :-) )

In the end the users would be able to use Tika specific API to read and for
some most used formats - create docs.
Tika appeal is about having the uniform API for reading N formats, so the
users don't have to have a code switching between N format specific parser
APIs. But the users working with Tika and having an additional task of
creating some formats still have to go beyond Tika...ending up with a
semi-generic code after all. That was the idea I tried to convey earlier in
the thread...

Thanks all, Sergey