Github user dalaro commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/372

    I pulled master (@ fc79de813c788ee141175bbf1ea6d0cdefa94a0f) and confirmed
that the bug still existed.  I didn't apply your proposed change right away.
Here a `gremlin.sh` session that shows the buggy behavior.  I'm also pushing a
unit test that I developed first, but it's easier to see what's going wrong in
this `gremlin.sh` session than in the source code for a unit test.

    ```
    $ `find gremlin-console/target -name gremlin.sh`

             \,,,/
             (o o)
    -----oOOo-(3)-oOOo-----
    plugin activated: tinkerpop.server
    plugin activated: tinkerpop.utilities
    plugin activated: tinkerpop.tinkergraph
    gremlin> sg =
org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.structure.util.star.StarGraph.open()
    ==>stargraph[starOf:null]
    gremlin> v = sg.addVertex('name', 'foo')
    ==>v[0]
    gremlin> v.addEdge('self', v)
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().inE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().outE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().bothE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    // NOTE: StarOutEdge in the inEdges datastructure
    gremlin> v.inEdges.values().iterator().next().get(0).getClass()
    ==>class
org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.structure.util.star.StarGraph$StarOutEdge
    gremlin> filter = new
org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.process.computer.GraphFilter()
    ==>graphfilter[none]
    gremlin> filter.setEdgeFilter(__.bothE("self"))
    ==>null
    gremlin> sg.applyGraphFilter(filter)
    ==>Optional[stargraph[starOf:v[0]]]
    // NOTE: no inE results, double outE results after GraphFilter is applied
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().inE('self')
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().outE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().bothE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin>
    ```

    There are a couple of things worth noting above:

    * the `inEdges` datastructure contains a `StarOutEdge` when we construct
the graph this way
    * the final post-filtering `inE` and `outE` are incorrect (an indirect
consequence of the first point)

    These steps produce different behavior depending on whether I invoke
`StarGraph.open()` or call `StarGraph.of(<some self-looped tinkervertex>)`.  If
I do the latter, I get a `StarInEdge` in the `inEdges` map and a `StarOutEdge`
in the `outEdges` map, and in turn avoid this particular filtering bug.

    **Good news**: your change makes sense and fixes the bug I initially
reported (both-filtering).

    **Bad news**: I think there are more graph filtering bugs on StarGraph that
can create half-edges

    When I filter a self-loop star graph for either in or out, I get stuff like
this (symmetrical for `.inE`):

    ```
    gremlin> filter = new
org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.process.computer.GraphFilter()
    ==>graphfilter[none]
    gremlin> filter.setEdgeFilter(__.outE("self"))
    ==>null
    gremlin> sg.applyGraphFilter(filter)
    ==>Optional[stargraph[starOf:v[0]]]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V()
    ==>v[0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().inE('self')
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().outE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin> sg.traversal().V().bothE('self')
    ==>e[2][0-self->0]
    gremlin>
    ```

    @okram: This doesn't look correct, but then again, I don't really know what
it should do.  Should it completely destroy the self-loop, so that
inE/bothE/outE all fail to emit anything associated with the self-loop?  Should
it transform the self-loop into a single-directional edge (which seems like one
interpretation for what it does now, in which case it might be correct)?

    I noticed that the name of my original branch is nonsense ("DSP-1397").  I
don't think that can be changed after a PR is created.  So, I'm opening a pair
of new PRs: one for tp31 and one for master.

---
with INFRA.
---