Github user robertdale commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/439

    Upstart looks simple enough. I don't know if the one @dkuppitz created,
referenced in TINKERPOP-980 , is still viable. But I can't test. Any volunteers?

    I would have to say that it's not customary for systemd/upstart templates
to be in `bin/`.  They're really not binaries, more like configuration for
those apps. Maybe create an `extras/` dir?

    The initd script is a real, executable script with `start, stop, status`.
I didn't want to modify `gremlin-server.sh` since it has some functionality
over a pure init script like install deps, run in foreground, pass conf file.
However, it also has its short-comings like it can only be run in the install
dir.  The initd script can be run from anywhere and also can be directly
referenced from initd.  That said, it's not unusual for the main server script
to also be the initd script.

    My preference would be to merge the two. But there *should* be a breaking
change in that executing `gremlin-server.sh` would show help instead of running
in the foreground.  Would probably add a new option to run in foreground,
`start -f`.   Passing a conf file can still work, with or without start. `-i`
can still work.

---
with INFRA.
---