>  permits me to construct vertex objects in which  I set the vertex id,
and can fetch them back.

In a sense, every TinkerPop implementation allows that. You might not be
able to set the actual Vertex or Edge Identifier for most graph databases
but you can always add a property key called "myId" and set it to whatever
you want. Index it, then look it up.

> Ideally, findById and findByLabel are of interest.

g.V().has("person", "myId", "someIdThatIAssigned")