I'm proposing the addition of a new types of map/list/set with specified
child types. There is no doubt about the need of a map which keys are
objects (like in groupCount()) and the benefits of using a g:Map over plain
json objects in GraphSON3.

> is that basically the core of the usability problem?

I think its a specification problem, not a usability problem.
GraphTraversal interface exposes valueMap() as a method that returns a
Map<String, E2>, but the GraphSON3 specification doesn't provide an
specification of a Map with string keys so it's being returned as an
Map<Object, Object>.

> Is there a way to do that? how do we know what's in the Map/List until we
iterate it all?

I think its a responsibility of the graph processor, that could optimize by
returning a specific type of traverser as a result of the execution of a
certain traversal (in the example, when the valueMap is the last step).