I'm going to leverage this email a bit more for the following point.

I noticed that the actual format of Tree has changed with GRAPHSON 3.0.
We're now handling Lists whereas it used to be Maps. This seems to be a
breaking change when using GRAPHSON 3.0.

Given: g.V(1).out().properties("name").tree()

In 1.0 we get :

"data":[{
   "1":{
      "key":{
         "id":1,
         "label":"vertex",
         "type":"vertex",
         "properties":{"name": ...

In 3.0 we get :

"data":{
   "@type":"g:List",
   "@value":[{
      "@type":"g:Tree",
      "@value":[{
         "key":{
         "@type":"g:Vertex",
         "@value":{
             "id":{"@type":"g:Int64","@value":1},
             "label":"vertex",
             "properties":{"name": ...

When instead we should be getting :

"data":{
   "@type":"g:Map",
   "@value":[{
      "1",
      {
         "@type":"g:Tree",
         "@value":[{
            "key":{
               "@type":"g:Vertex",
               "@value":{
                   "id":{"@type":"g:Int64","@value":1},
                   "label":"vertex",
                   "properties":{"name": ...

I like the new way better to be honest. And it's probably more consistent
with gryo, but this is a breaking change and inconsistent across
serializing methods ATM. At the very least we should add it to the upgrade
information and perhaps consider aligning GRAPHSON 1.0 with this for 3.4

Let me know if you guys think it deserves a thread of it's own. I just
didn't want to pollute the list too much while I fiddle around.