Hi,

> i get the "submit" part but could you explain the "register" and
> "unregister" parts (referenced in another post somewhere perhaps)?

These three methods are from the Machine API.

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp4/java/machine/machine-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/machine/Machine.java

<https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp4/java/machine/machine-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/machine/Machine.java>

Bytecode is composed of two sets of instructions.
        - source instructions
        - operation instructions

source instructions are withProcessor(), withStructure(), withStrategy(), etc.
operation instructions are out(), in(), count(), where(), etc.

The source instructions are expensive to execute. Why? — when you evaluate a
withStructure(), you are creating a connection to the database. When you
evaluate a withStrategy(), you are sorting strategies. It is for this reason
that we have the concept of a TraversalSource in TP3 that does all that “setup
stuff” once and only once for each g. The reason we tell people to not do
graph.traversal().V(), but instead g = graph.traversal(). Once you have ‘g’,
you can then spawn as many traversals as you want off that it without incurring
the cost of re-processing the source instructions again.

In TP4, there is no state in Gremlin’s TraversalSource. Gremlin doesn’t know
about databases, processors, strategy compilation, etc. Thus, when you
Machine.register(Bytecode) you are sending over the source instructions, having
them processed at the TP4 VM and then all subsequent submits() with the same
source instruction header will use the “pre-compiled” source bytecode cached in
the TP4 VM. g.close() basically does Machine.unregister().

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp4/java/language/gremlin/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/language/gremlin/TraversalSource.java#L107-L112

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp4/java/language/gremlin/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/language/gremlin/TraversalSource.java#L114-L116

<https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/tp4/java/language/gremlin/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/language/gremlin/TraversalSource.java#L114-L116>

In short, we have just offloaded the TP3 TraversalSource work to TP4 Machine.

HTH,
Marko.

P.S. I don’t like the term “source instructions.” I’m thinking of calling them
“meta instructions” or “setup instructions” or “staging instructions’ … ?