After some more thought on this, I don't think we need to do a scoped
math() step, but I think an improvement that allows both individual numbers
as well as arrays of numbers as variables would suffice. Then math() could
contain a full listing of all the possible math operations that can be
executed and from that set we could choose, for performance or usability
reasons, to promote that operation to a first-class reducing step. That
feels like a reasonably consistent story to guide our choices by, while
expanding the quality of the math() step considerably.