Hi everyone,

With the addition of transaction support in TinkerGraph in 3.7, I think now is
a good time to reassess the Neo4J-Gremlin module. To the best of my knowledge,
Neo4J-Gremlin historically served 2 primary purposes. First it acted as a de
facto reference implementation of gremlin transactions, and second it provided
a convenient package for users to integrate Neo4J into the TinkerPop ecosystem
(use of gremlin-console, server…). I don’t see a future for Neo4J-Gremlin in
its current state in either of these roles. TinkerTransactionGraph will be
filling the reference implementation role from now on, and the module has
fallen so far out of support that it I don’t see it offering much value for
users either.

Neo4J support is dependent on neo4j-tinkerpop-api-impl to interface with Neo4J.
This library has not been updated in over 5 years now and is stuck on Neo4J 3.4
which dropped out of support in 2020. As it stands, the neo4j-gremlin plugin
cannot operate on any modern version of Neo4J and thus in my opinion, is no
longer a viable product for users.

Without a concrete plan for a significant investment in upgrading
neo4j-tinkerpop-api-impl, I believe we should move to drop support for
Neo4J-Gremlin.

I would like to ask any users or stakeholders of Neo4J-Gremlin to reply with
their thoughts on the future of the module. I would like to know if the plugin
still provides any value for anyone beyond what I already captured. If anyone
has objections to the deprecation of the module, I ask that they be raised in
this thread. Further I would love to hear if anyone is interested in driving
efforts to modernize and support Neo4J-Gremlin.

I plan to leave this discussion open for a while to solicit feedback from as
many stakeholders as possible. If there is no objections raised, I will assume
a lazy consensus in favor of the deprecation and removal of Neo4J-Gremlin from
TinkerPop.

Regards,

Cole