Costin Manolache wrote:
What about:

1. create tomcat/tomcat6.0

2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/jasper

Or even better:

2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/java/org/apache/tomcat/jasper

You can do all the work on jasper in the tomcat6.0 svn module, and
maybe in time other components will move here as well.

The build.xml changes for this case will be the same with what you
propose, you still need to get jasper from a different place when
building tomcat6.0, etc.

Personally, unless you really insist, I would still like to keep Jasper as an independent module, with a separate source tree. Same for the API implementations (servletapi right now). These could be the two exceptions.

The tree I maintain is like that, and it works well.

I think for this new Jasper, Java5 usage for container coding, and possibly code generation (assuming there are places where it adds value), should be acceptable.

Rémy