IMHO, 'maintainer' is an over statement ;-).  However, it's probably true
that it would have trouble getting it's 3 +1s for a release in commons
(since even commons-logging can't manage that :).  I'd be +1 to branching it
back into Tomcat.

> If EL has a lot of indepenent developers who are not interested in the
> rest of tomcat ( so
> it doesn't make sense to add them to tomcat project ) - then yes, +1
> on splitting it
> to a separate sub-project or jakarta-commons.

You could try putting a copy of EL in the Jakarta commons-sandbox, and see
if it gets a community.  If it does, than that's probably better for
everyone.  If it doesn't, then there would never be a release of it
independent of Tomcat anyway.

> Until this happens - I think it should be in the same source tree with
> everything else.
>
> The fact that it has it's own specification or deps is not an issue -
> each component
> of tomcat has it's own evolution and might be released independently
> or with the bundle.
> We made this argument for connector, jasper, container, etc -
> I don't think it
> helped in any way to have each of them as a separate module, and I
> don't think it helped
> anyone to have modeler in jakarta-commons.
>
> Again - we can release any package we want, and we should
> start doing that.
>
> Right now we release few packaging variations of jakarta-tomcat - IMO
> we should start
> releasing things like 'el', modeler, maybe standalone jasper compiler,
> maybe standalone connector, cluster module, etc.

Well, a couple of projects use Jasper independently of Tomcat.  For the
others, I don't really see the point (and Jasper is a bit under-maintained
at the moment :).

> Costin
>
> On 2/27/06, Jacob Hookom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would like to suggest splitting EL off as a separate library from
> > Tomcat.  The EL-API is expected to rev in it's own
> specification in the
> > future.  It is not have any dependencies on the Servlet API
> or JSP API
> > and can be utilized in the same fashion as the commons-el project.
> >
> > --
> > Jacob Hookom  -  Minneapolis

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of
this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through
the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information,
such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification
numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.