In his example ( where both XML and JSP declare encodings ) - which one
would win ?

IMO the XML encoding should win i.e. if the file uses xml syntax and starts
with
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-2" ?>, then jsp pageEncoding should
be ignored.
If a jsp is written using the XML syntax - it is supposed to follow the XML
rules - there is no
exception in the XML spec for jsps specifying their different syntax for
encoding.

For non-XML jsps - I think respecting pageEncoding is a must, the jsp reader
must scan the
file to find the pageEncoding string - which is not trivial ( there is a
reason why XML requires the
encoding to be the first thing in the file, at the top, I would't bet on
jasper implementing it correctly :-)

Costin