If my research is correct this the commons-daemon package ?

I'm looking to find out if a patch to add network support to the 'jsvc' program would be a welcome enhancement. I would like to be able to reboot a JVM remotely in a development environment. This is a building block in some larger work I am trying to do to enable IDE based development to be network transparent for the entire development process. The function is very similar to the shutdown port (within TC) but it works over UDP. Commands are cryptographically protected via a shared secret (the password) and a request/challenge/response cycle is needed to issue instructions to jsvc. In some ways it is much more useful than inside jsvc than tomcat because it has the ability to forcefully kill of the TC JVM if/when things get out of hand (especially true in the development environment).

I have got a proof of concept patch for jsvc running tomcat on linux/unix, the patch adds support and provide a simple network client from the command line bundled with the jsvc build. If this is thought to be a useful addition that would get approval for inclusion I will happily work on porting it to windows as well.

I do not intend to make network support enabled by default (you'd have to specify it in a cmdline option). You'd have to configure a shared secret to use it.

At the moment it is built on top of OpenSSL for the secure hash implementation the simple protocol uses, however this dependency can probably be avoided if a public domain version of SHA1 (or MD5) was bundled instead.

Who/where do I approach on this matter.

Your thoughts and pointers in the right direction,

Thanks

Darryl