Sorry about the vague explanation. But the actual reasons are not the point
here. The only thing matters is the Java memory model. And the article I
refer to explain exactly why and how this can happen.

I agree that such non-thread-safe lazy initialization rarely causes
problem. But, guys, please take a look at other issues I reported. There
are much more interesting concurrency bugs. I am reporting these minor
issues only because they are clearly bugs.

Mark, if you have a specific concurrency issue you would like to
investigate, the best way is to run RV-Predict against the code that once
revealed the problem. Even if the failure occurs rarely, RV-Predict may be
able to identify the cause for you. I get all these race reports by running
RV-Predict against the test suite so if the small unit test doesn't
exercise the problematic code enough you may not get the specific answer
you are looking for.

Yilong