> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
> Subject: Re: RV-Predict bugs

> To make sure I understand this it is the possibility of the write T2W2
> that is sufficient to ensure T2R1 and T2R4 are not re-ordered not the
> possibility of a write in some other thread?

Section 14.2 requires that statements appear to execute in order, so the second
read cannot be issued by the JVM until after the write could occur.  The Java
compilers (javac, C1, and C2) are not aware of whether or not multiple threads
are in play unless volatile, synchronized, or atomic operations are explicitly
done.  So in this case, the reordering is prohibited by the statement execution
order requirement, not the memory model.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.