> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > I think there is a clear case for a new version. The first thing to do
> > > would be to pull all the ideas together in one place (I'm thinking the
> > > wiki), agree what needs to be in AJP.next and then work on updating the
> > > specification to accommodate it.
> > >
> > > Regarding the wiki, the current Tomcat wiki is hosted on a system that
> > > be be very slow (minutes) to process updates. I think we should create
> > > new wiki instance on the cwiki server that is a lot faster when
> editing.
> > >
> > > I rather like the idea of HTTP/2 as a proxy protocol. Did I miss
> > something
> > and what would a AJP.next bring over it ?
> >
> > Rémy,
> Why wouldn't we offer a new AJP (AJP/2 Maybe?) alongside HTTP/2?  The
> current setup (as you all know) allows for HTTP proxying and AJP proxying.
> You suggest HTTP/2 as the proxy protocol with no AJP?
>
> Yes, maybe HTTP/2 could be used as the proxy transport protocol:
- Encryption possible
- Message based
- Header compression
- Flow control
- Multiplexing
- Etc

That would save a significant amount of effort specifying and implementing
[assuming it really does everything that is needed ...] especially if proxy
servers start adding HTTP/2 as a supported protocol for backend server
communication.

Rémy