Remy Maucherat wrote:
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
Here are my suggestions:

1. Incorporate modules/ha as the cluster solution into TC6

Ok.

2. Keep modules/groupcom as a separate module
The reason I suggest a separate module, is cause it is a fairly complex component and will have a fairly large documentation base, it might be better to keep it separate and have it release separately from the core. That way, a busted IO component, will not set back the tomcat release.

This sounds ambitious, given the testing that ensures that the clustering is not "busted" in a particular release is only done weeks later.
not sure I understand.
Similarly, the plan about big docs is fine, but I didn't see anything being started at the moment.
it is ambitious, but it happens to be that I am now in a position to dedicate way more time than I have ever had before. There are docs have started, http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tribes/docs/introduction.html paused at the moment while I am developing HTTPS connector with java.nio (was a little tricky to get my head around but it should be done next week).
I would like to keep the Tomcat build and packaging simple, so this will mean that all external modules would be external components then ?
sure, I understand, shouldn't be very difficult at all.
if you want to include it at build time, then you can just invoke the build script under modules/groupcom/build, and generate it directly from there,
or we can keep versioned binaries.
was there ever a decision to have TC6 completely module-less? I don't remember a final decision on that, do you remember the status of those conversations?

3. Storeconfig - this is Peter's baby and would be his choice.
I personally would suggest a rewrite of it and have a storeconfig that is not dependent on the classes of tomcat,
  ie, storeconfig today has one class for every component in tomcat,
  so as soon as you swap out a component to a custom class,
  there is no saving for that component anymore.
It could be equally easy to create a completely standalone configuration tool.
  But since I am not that familiar here,
I'd prefer to leave that decision to Peter if he has time to maintain it in TC6.

A rewrite plan is not realistic at this time.
for sure,

Rémy