For the most part the Tomcat compiled from source on Gentoo provides
all, and does all the binary one does. With the exception of one jar,
naming-factory-dbcp.jar.

From looking at the build.xml file it seems that to build that
jar, .java files are needed from three other commons packages. Some of
those files are modified, and all compiled and put inside
naming-factory-dbcp.jar.

So basically I have been unable to build that jar due to only having
access to Tomcat's sources. Anything Tomcat would download and compile
via ant, possibly in jar format, as dependencies, are their own packages
on Gentoo. So they are all compiled, prior to Tomcat. They are then
linked into locations in Tomcat's sources so compiling will work.

At this time it seems I would have to have the package pull in 4
sources, Tomcat, commons-collections, commons-pool, and commons-dbcp.
Then unpack the last three inside Tomcat. So ant can find what it needs
to build the naming-factory-dbcp.jar.

For some reason that all just seems wrong. Why borrow/take the files
from other sources and re-bundle them? Why not make Tomcat's own
implementation of them? Or at least modify it so that jar could be build
via access to .class files, not .java sources.

If they were binary dependencies it would not be an issue. But since
it's source dependencies, and then compiling and bundling of those
sources. There just is not a clean or straight forward way for me to
build that jar on Gentoo.

I have not had a chance to dig much further than the ant build.xml file
for that jar. I know a patch or addressing it is preferred to just a
discussion or etc about it. Just for someone else to do the work.
However I just wanted to get more info before diving any further.

Thanks

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java