Hi,
It's not only in the 4.1.31 release, it's even in the latest stable
5.5.17.  Let's change it in the next releases of 4.x and 5.x, starting
with 5.5.18 which should happen any day now.

I think the advice was decent (and based on empirical evidence IIRC)
when originally issued, but that was more than two years ago, and it's
now stale or worse.  Maybe we should also post a notice for users on
the users mailing list, especially if we're not going to do a 4.x
release for a while...

Yoav