TL;DR. It doesn't work right now and that is probably OK.

During my testing of the RMI leak detection changes and Java 9, I
realised that JSP compilation was badly broken - none of the JRE
provided classes were visible to the class loader.

A little research turned up that Jigsaw effectively hides the JRE class
files from the getResourceAsStream() based mechanism that JDT currently
uses to load JRE classes. There are patched versions of the JDT compiler
available that use jrt-fs to access those classes and we should be able
to take advantage of this for JSP compilation.

My current thinking is that we wait for these Java 9 patches to make
their way into the standard JDT compiler builds and then investigate
what - if anything - we need to do get things working with Java 9. The
alternative is we figure out how to use the patched JAR and get that
working. It might be that getting things working with the patch JAR is
simpler than I think it is going to be. If someone wants to take a look...