Le 13/06/2016 à 17:47, Mark Thomas a écrit :
> Now we have a stable release of 8.5.x, I'd like to finialise the end of
> life date for 8.0.x so we can publish it.
>
> We originally said we'd do parallel releases for 6 months. That gives an
> EOL date of 30 September 2016 for 8.0.x which seems reasonable to me.
>
> Any objections to that date or suggestions for a better one?

Hi,

Just a word with my Debian maintainer hat on, Tomcat 8.0.x was shipped
with Debian 8 Jessie with the expectation it would be supported during
the lifetime of this release (until May 2018). I'm currently maintaining
with other volunteers a stable version based on 8.0.14 (with backported
security patches). Canonical does a similar job for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
based on Tomcat 8.0.32.

The early EOL of 8.0.x is impractical because, at least in Debian, major
updates like the switch to 8.5 aren't allowed for the stable distribution.

I understand you can't maintain so many branches for a long time, but if
Tomcat 8.0.x could be security supported at least until the Debian 9
release (~April/May 2017) it would allow users following the stable
distribution to remain on a supported version of Tomcat (Debian 9 will
include Tomcat 8.5).

If this isn't possible I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the 8.5
security patches will remain backportable to 8.0.x, and that 8.0.x will
not be affected by security issues not found in 8.5.x.

Emmanuel Bourg