Hi everyone,

Ubuntu has developed a new platform for deploying applications using
bundled packages called "snaps". These make it easier to deploy and
update on Ubuntu independently of it's release cycle (and on non-Ubuntu
distros too for that matter). I would like to make Tomcat available in
this format so it can be more easily used on lightweight cloud instances
or devices like the Raspberry Pi.

I have a working example of Tomcat as a snap, and it works really well
with a separate read-only CATALINE_HOME and a writable, versioned
CATALINA_BASE that will allow for atomic updates and rollbacks without
breaking application data, and it's very easy to use.

The next step is to contribute this to upstream, where it can be
improved (I've only scratched the surface of what can be done with it)
and integrated with the CI system so that snap package can be
automatically created and uploaded for testers and users. This is where
I need help from somebody on this list, so please let me know if you are
interested and I will provide you the packaging files (there are only 2)
and a working binary package if you want to give it a try.

Thanks.

--
Michael Hall
mhall...@ubuntu.com