Martin,

On 9/20/16 2:56 PM, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Michael Hall <mhall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Coty,
>>
>> Have you had an opportunity to try this yet? If you need help please let
>> me know, or you could find help on #snappy on Freenode or
>> https://gitter.im/ubuntu/snappy-playpen (a new slack-like service
>> connected to github)
>>

> I am an Ubuntu user and I've tried once Snap.
> I've installed the featured Notes application and I was amazed to see that
> it downloaded 60Mb for such a simple application! After being unzipped it
> is 196MB !!
> Then I removed it.
> I hope Canonical will keep .deb around for the near future!

If Ubuntu scraps .deb, then it won't really be Debian at the core and
will lose a lot of its appeal. I don't think that's going to happen.

I completely understand the "fat app" model, here. Honestly, it's
*exactly* like the "fat web app" model that we usually recommend around
here. If you try to use the same shared dependencies for all
applications, things quickly become mired in dependency hell: upgrading
one component breaks one app while leaving it on an older version
prohibits another app from running properly.

Using fat apps where the only system-wide libraries being used are e.g.
glibc makes for a much "easier" experience for a lot of people. Don't
forget that Ubuntu is focused on the end-user and not the administrator
(even though they'd be perfectly happy to have Ubuntu running servers
everywhere, too). Users just want stuff to work.

Of course, bundling libraries with applications means that every time a
security fix comes out for a particular library, every app using that
lib needs an update. Boo. It's hard to strike a balance between these
two irritating situations. Perhaps that's why Ubuntu offers both
traditional .deb packages as well as Snaps.

> About your package:
> I see it uses "plugs: [network-bind]" to be able to bind the ports, but
> does this also allow to make connections to external resources like a
> remote DB for example ?

Web services, JMS queues, non-JDBC Data sources, etc.

Honestly, I have no idea why anyone would want to install Tomcat as a
"Snap"... it's a server daemon. Is there a Snap for httpd? MySQL? *shrug*

-chris