>> - One TCK test fails because an associated JSP no longer compiles
>>   because it reaches the 64k method limit. The JSP has a very large
>>   number of nested tags.
>>
>> I'm going to take another look at the JSP Generation to see if there is
>> anything we can do to make even a small improvement.
>>
>> :( It could be an option to simply revert the try/finally change in all
> branches except 8.5 and 9, after all nobody complained about it.

1. I think that try/finally change fixed a real bug. It is better to keep it.

2. Looking at java code generated for JSPs by 6.0.50, the additional
code is in helper methods ("_jspx_meth_"*), not in the main big
_jspService() method.

There is not much of that additional code. Just a try/catch and a
boolean variable.
So I also do not see what can be improved.

A "catch (Throwable t)" block at the end of _jspService() could be
extracted into a helper method as non-trivial code, but it is only a
dozen of lines and it is present only once.

It needs some actual numbers - how big of a JSP can be compiled by Tomcat.

3. There are some Jasper options that produce a more compact java
code. Especially the option to generates a single out.write() call for
a sequence of text instead of separate call for each line of text. A
bugzilla report mentions it.

 <init-param>
            <param-name>mappedfile</param-name>
             <param-value>false</param-value>
  </init-param>

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jasper-howto.html

I wonder whether the mentioned TCK test will pass with that option.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko