Hi Mark,

Review thread:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/net-dev/2017-February/010648.html

Rgds,Rory

On 20/02/2017 11:45, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update, we have logged a new issue referring to the previous bug - JDK-8175261

Rgds, Rory

On 17/02/2017 11:48, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 03/02/17 21:17, Rory O'Donnell wrote:

Hi Mark,

*JDK 9 Early Access* b155 <https://jdk9.java.net/download/>  is
available on java.net

Can you confirm fix for :

 * b153 - JDK-8163449 : Allow per protocol setting for URLConnection
   defaultUseCaches

Sorry for the delayed reply. I needed to re-create my Java 9 test environment and it took me a couple of attempts to get it right.

I'm afraid that the current fix is not sufficient for JARUrlConnection.

The problem is that sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection passes all of the [g|s]et[Default]UseCaches() method calls to the wrapped URLConnection which is an instance of FileURLConnection. This means any attempt to control caching for just JAR URLs fails. "jar" always ends up being treated like "file" which is exactly the case we are trying to avoid. We want "file" to cache for performance but we don't want "jar" to cache so we can avoid the associated file locking issues.

Simple test here:
https://github.com/markt-asf/memory-leaks/blob/master/src/org/apache/markt/leaks/net/TestJava9CacheFix.java

Output should be:
true
true
false
false

Mark

There have been a number of fixes to bugs reported by Open Source
projects since the last availability email  :

 * b155 - JDK-8167273 : Calendar.getDisplayNames inconsistent with
   DateFormatSymbols
 * b154 - JDK-8157611 : field visiblePackages is null for the unnamed
   module producing NPE when accessed
 * B152 - JDK-8172158 : Annotation processor not run with -source <= 8

Dalibor and I are presenting at FOSDEM this weekend, we would love to
meet you there!

 * JDK 9 Outreach - The Awesome Parts
   <https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/outreach/>

Rgds,Rory