Remy Maucherat wrote:
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
Mladen Turk wrote:
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

to eager to press send, that way the connector would have only on/off values, while the actual SSLEngine value neuron would be in the APRLifeCycleListener,
much cleaner, and all our connectors become consistent on that value

Look,

no need to get edgy :), your point is well taken.
SSLEngine concept was derived from mod_ssl where SSLEngine
toggles the usage of SSL/TLS (usually per VHost).
We extended that (because we can not have per-vhost connectors)
on the connector basis and added optional initialization for
hardware SSL engines, and thus conceptually has nothing to
do with the thing you are trying to use it for.
I understand the concept, but because the JNI API has a limitation of "one per VM" according to the code, then the connector is the wrong place to put it in.

It would mean that the same directive (SSLEngine) would
have two different meanings/purposes depending on the
connector itself.
 > I would suggest that you came up with a different name
(as well as documentation) that would properly describe
what you are trying to do.
Lets expand on that suggestion then, lets come up with an attribute that goes across all three connectors, currently APR is using SSLEngine for dual purposes, including the "on" value which does the same as the Java connectors. So instead of having attributes with dual features, that always at some point become problems cause folks will want one feature but not the other, lets agree on something.

Let's keep SSLEngine: it's explicit, and it works.
not really, this wouldn't work
<Connector port="8444" scheme="https" secure="true" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol" SSLEngine="oneengine"/> <Connector port="8555" scheme="https" secure="true" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol" SSLEngine="otherengine"/>

Fully valid configuration, and the docs don't mention that a uniqueness have to be enforced, configuration should be as easy as possible, and I believe we have a spot here to make it easier, if it is a one per server value, then lets put it where it would only be initialized once.

Filip