Turns out my issues were due to resources ending up in a sub-directory,
prefixed with java/org, like find out in sources. One aspect I would
like to see done if possible. Tomcat mixes a lot of stuff into the same
directories. Its layout and what not started before the normal java
conventions now such as;

src/main/java
src/main/resources

It would be great if tomcat could move towards such structure. My
problem was due to grabbing resources that are mixed in with sources.
Then failing to strip java/ from the path as I copied over the files
into the jar. Various properties and xml files. I understand some
properties files need be in the same folders but other stuff like xml.
But many of those can be merged at build time.

Packaging hundreds of Java applications. Very few mix in resources with
source files. Thus my logic for handling such cases was off. Self
inflicted problem, but would help if project layout was better.

Utopian would be moving various pieces into sub-directories for the
various jars. I had to be creative to get my jars to be the same as
those from upstream. Due to sources all being mixed together. Beyond
mixing resources and java sources.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.