>From a very personal view I'm tempted to share Mladens dislike of
trailing spaces. If I try to express, why I don't like them, then it all
comes back to diffs.

Trailing spaces increase the potential of diff lines with no functional
differences. Nevertheless one wastes time to check very carefully, if
there's really no functional change in them.

And why do trailing spaces produce diff deltas? I think most of the time
because of copy and paste. Copy and paste is able to remove trailing
spaces, when you do it from a screen output of code. So you attempt to
clone code (I know, we never want to do that) and the result looks the
same, but in fact it will produce diff lines because of whitespace
differences.

Omitting all whitespace differences from the subversion diff mails is
something I really find dangerous, because there are cases, where you
need to see whitespace changes.

Removing all trailing whitespace from Java source files might be doable
by a script, although I didn't think about that deeply enough.

All in all I would be

+0 for a policy of not introducing new trailing whitespace (as long as
we don't shoot at each other if it happens nevertheless, but we agree,
that we should avoid it)

and

no idea about the best way of cleaning up existing code (once per script
or during the usual editing process over time).

Regards,

Rainer