On 08/03/2019 21:54, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The release procedure for Tomcat that we used up to recently is
> documented in the Wiki,
> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/ReleaseProcess
>
> Do we change it now, when Git is used instead of Apache Subversion?
>
> I see the following issues:
>
> 1) When preparing a release, one does a tag in Subversion that differs
> from the main branch.
>
> Technically, with Git it means that one creates a new branch and a tag
> on that branch.
> I think, the process may be the following:
>
> a) create a "RC" branch locally,
> b) create a tag on that branch,
> c) push only a tag, not the branch to the remote repository.

I'm not even sure you need a branch. It might be as simple as:
- commit changes (remove -dev from version and rtext from changelog)
- tag
- push the tag
- reset back to commit prior to the tag.

I'm planning on tagging early next week so I guess we'll find out then.

> I have never done (c). I usually push a branch with a "with tags"
> flag, so both a branch and tags are pushed. Technically, it is
> possible to push branch with tags and delete the branch from the
> remote repository later.
>
> 2) Sometimes a release manager does re-tagging.
>
> It needs testing whether we have the rights to delete a tag, and how
> those deletions are replicated between repositories.

Tags are not protected. It should be possible to delete them.

Updated tags will be replicated but it will be a forced update. That is
probably OK for a tag.

> I think the possible solution that simplifies the things will be
> (1) create the tag on the main branch,
> (2) publish (push) the tag only when the release artifacts have been
> uploaded, so that it is known that the number won't be reused for a
> different set of artifacts.

It should be possible to delay pushing the tag. I'll test this next week.

<snip/>

> (The wiki page misses the "default" suffix from the first file name
> and does not mention the two other files.
> Usually the mvn.properties.default is updated after a release, so it
> already contains the correct version number.)

I'll update the wiki page as I work through the new release process.