On 23/07/2019 15:34, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> On 23/07/2019 11:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 23/07/2019 09:40, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tried to run summerwind/h2spec (docker (1)) to validate tomcat
>>> master (using the apr connector and java8) and I have a bunch of errors.
>>>
>>> Does someone validate our code against another test suite?
>>>
>>> (1) https://github.com/summerwind/h2spec
>>
>> That is the one I have been using.
>>
>> >From memory, there was one (maybe two?) explainable failures once Tomcat
>> was configured appropriately - mainly (only?) turning off server
>> initiated pings.
>
> OK in ./java/org/apache/coyote/http2/Http2Protocol.java:
>
> <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol"
> initiatePingDisabled="true" />
>
> There is still one failure:
> +++
> HPACK: Header Compression for HTTP/2
>   5. Primitive Type Representations
>     5.2. String Literal Representation
>       × 3: Sends a Huffman-encoded string literal representation
> containing the EOS symbol
>         -> The endpoint MUST treat this as a decoding error.
>            Expected: GOAWAY Frame (Error Code: COMPRESSION_ERROR)
>                      Connection closed
>              Actual: DATA Frame (length:3000, flags:0x01, stream_id:1)

Hmm. That looks like a valid failure. I wonder why it wasn't fixed.
Maybe a new test? Maybe it is a false positive?

> +++
>
> BTW: Shouldn't we document it in
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/http2.html?

It is deliberately undocumented as its only purpose is to pass these tests.

My preference remains not to document it. It we do document it, we
should make clear its purpose and that, in normal usage, it should not
be used.