пт, 11 окт. 2019 г. в 17:21, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>:

> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No

Certainly Yes. We must be able to conduct our business without relying
on GitHub and without relying on its pull requests.

If we call them not "private" branches, but "feature" branches - your
email concerns will be the same, but many projects are using feature
branches.

I agree that titling a commit as "First draft" is a bad naming. I
would like to see more elaborated commit message, with more context in
it.

If you remember when we were using Subversion, feature branches were
used several times. E.g. I used them to backport testing framework to
Tomcat 6. It generated a lot of emails, but their Subject line
contained the root path of the commit, and in Subversion such path
includes a branch name.

> As a big github user, i expect main repo to not have unofficially supported
> code.

Technically, the only supported code are the official releases that
have passed a vote. Anything else is a work in progress.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko