Rémy,

On 12/18/20 08:20, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 12:19 PM Martin Grigorov <mgrigo...@apache.org>
wrote:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to refactor the compat classes to align with the LTS versions:
- Move Jre9Compat to Jre11Compat
- I'll probably refactor out GraalCompat
- For the upcoming Java 12+ features, they will all go to a new
Jre17Compat

s/Java 12+/Java 17+/, right ?

I mean: for any features that are only present in Java 12 to 17 that we
would want to use in Tomcat, then they will all be implemented through
reflection in a Jre17Compat class. Example, if UDS support is added, it
will go into that class even though previously it would have been in
Jre16Compat.

Effectively, this drops guaranteed support for all Java non LTS releases
except the most recent one, so you either have to use one of the LTS or the
most recent Java.

I don't see a reason to restrict users in this way.

If a feature is added in Java 9, why not put it in a Java9Compat class and allow it to work on Java 9, 10, etc.? I realize that may add more JavaXCompat classes but I really don't see a particular reason to restrict or misrepresent Java versions.

-chris