Rainer Jung wrote:

Yes, but then you ignore the fact, that we already have such a functionality, and that we changed it's behaviour between 1.2.19 and 1.2.20. So at least we need to decide, if it's behaviour should be

- disabled completely (breaking existing configs for all versions)

My favorite :)

The point is that using DirectoryIndex one can
force for example that index.jsp is served as default
welcome file.

However, the web application might have different
thoughts on that subject in web.xml, and then your
web application doesn't behave like it should.
In fact with that you are breaking the Servlet spec,
because something gets served outside the config.
So, you must edit httpd.conf in parallel with web.xml
(very bogus and cumbersome).

Also the usage of the DirectoryIndex is possible
*only* and *only when* you have a physical access to
the web application's directory tree, meaning that
this is limited to the negligible number of deployments
where you have both Apache and Tomcat on the same box.

And as last, DirectoryIndex doesn't allow you to do
anything you cannot do with web.xml and <welcome-file-list>
except breaking it.

Regards,
Mladen.