When I try to run 5.5.23 with JDK 1.5.0_08 under windows, I get this error:

SEVERE: An incompatible version 0.0.0 of the Apache Tomcat Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version 1.1.3 Mar 3, 2007 3:43:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener lifecycleEvent INFO: An older version 0.0.0 of the Apache Tomcat Native library is installed, while Tomcat recommends version greater than 1.1.4

Is this Tomcat Native thing now required?

It wasn't in 5.5.22 (the test build anyhow).

Is it normal to change the requirements for how the system operates on a point release?

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
Candidate binaries are available here: http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tomcat/tomcat-5.5/v5.5.23/

According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 5.5.23 tag is:
[ ] Broken
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] Stable