Mark,

On 7/4/22 07:23, Mark Thomas wrote:
Mark,

On 6/30/22 09:58, Mark Thomas wrote:
This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:

- JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support the use of
   OpenSSL rather than JSSE for TLS connections. The APR/native connector
   is not supported.

This statement is confusing. I think it should say "JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support OpenSSL as a JSSE provider for TLS connections. The API/native connector is no longer supported in this branch."

The confusion is over JSSE versus OpenSSL which are not mutually-exclusive. What we are doing AIUI is specifically using OpenSSL through JSSE, instead of going around JSSE and using OpenSSL directly (well, through APR-connections).

Ack. I was trying to avoid saying we were using an OpenSSL based JSSE provider as we are not doing that. How about:

"The JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no longer supported in this branch."

That sounds okay. I forgot that OpenSSL isn't supported as an actual JSSE provider.

- The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
   Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2

How much do we continue to rely on APR at this point? Usually, the reason to use APR is to take advantage of APRs pooling and e.g. connection-handling capabilities. As we are dropping support for the APR connector, the connection-handling capabilities are no longer required, and the pooling is really only helpful when delayed-cleanup of those pools is necessary.

I think we can probably drop the APR dependency -- at least over time.

I'm not convinced. We are mostly using APR for the memory management and I don't rate my chances of re-writing the TLS code without it whilst avoiding both bugs and memory leaks.

Given the medium / long term direction (the project Panama code Rémy has been working on) I don't think the benefit of fully removing APR is worth the effort.

I generally agree with this.

The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is not used.

The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
and the build was done using tag [2].

The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.0 release is
  [ ] Stable, go ahead and release
  [ ] Broken because of ...

Thanks,

Mark

I will try to do some testing on 8.5.x

Tx.

I obviously haven't found time for this, yet. :/

-chris