David Jencks wrote:
but I won't put it in the org.apache package.

There are not too many solutions to this problem, and (unfortunately for you, apparently) I think it's the most appropriate, or least inappropriate if you prefer. I was already aware it was possible to have one interface in Jasper and implement it in Catalina, or one interface in Catalina and use it in Jasper, and it would work ;)

- I still don't know if I agree with removing the security checks out of Catalina, merging checks between filters and servlets, etc
I think that the security checks and related code are really specific to the tomcat classloader and you shouldn't force them on containers embedding tomcat that use different classloaders. As far as uniformizing the code between servlets, filters, and listeners, I still don't understand the problem. You might well be right, but I'd really appreciate concrete details on why some checks are appropriate for servlets and not listeners or filters. Since all of these objects are only created once (except for single-thread-model servlets, which have all the checks anyway) I don't really see why a slight difference in startup speed would outweigh the simplicity of uniform code and relative ease of understanding of having the object creation policy in one place.

I don't know for sure about that, I would have to look at what gets run in each case. Maybe the implementation in the proposed patch is fine.

- Class hierarchy for InstanceManager -> meh (although I suppose it perfectly fits your needs, though ...)
I agree... Geronimo implements its own InstanceManagers for tomcat and jasper, so we don't have that problem. I'd be perfectly happy to drop support for AnnotationProcessor entirely, but I kinda doubt you would like it so much :-)

It does not make any difference, really: if the API changes significantly, there's no need to keep the old API and provide fake compatibility, it would not really help IMO.

I was complaining about the 2 interfaces + 1 abstract + 2 impls + 1 factory (maybe I forgot some). This is overengineered (for Tomcat at least) IMO. Personally, the thing that I would like would be at most: 1 shared interface, 1 abstract, 1 impl. OTOH, I think I accept the idea of the InstanceManager interface.

Overall, thanks for the patch, it gives a very good basis for work (esp if you did test it).

To be honest, this whole stuff may be 6.next material. We'll see.

thanks!

The first decision is to see if the API change is going to be acceptable in 6.0.x.

Rémy