On 02/04/2023 18:23, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
Hi all,

Wonder if tomcat couldn't get ReadListener support for request.getReader(),
I know it is not in servlet spec but it is weirdish to have a high level
API less usable than the low level one because it lacks features.
Since CoyoteReader uses the same input than the servlet inputstream
(inputbuffer) it would just be a matter of enabling to forward the
setReadListener.
Now, on an API standpoint and for me, it makes more sense to do it on the
servlet request since it gives callbacks of the request more than on a
particular input impl so it can be a better option.
I'm not sure if RequestFacade would be casted as such or if some Unwrap API
can help but it would really help to promote this API without enforcing
InputStream usage which can make the code not respecting the encoding quite
easily - or enforce to duplicate servlet logic and its optimizations.

Wdyt?

I think I'd rather see changes like this come via the Servlet spec rather than add Tomcat specific API for something as fundamental as reading the request body.