On 04/05/2023 13:37, Mark Thomas wrote:
Hi all,

The latest Java 21 EA build has moved virtual threads (from project Loom) out of preview. How do we want to handle this in Tomcat 11? Recall that Jakarta EE 11 has set Java 21 as the minimum version.

I think we have the following options:

1. Stick with Java 17 as the minimum version and don't provide virtual thread functionality.

2. Stick with Java 17 as the minimum version and provide virtual thread functionality via the JreCompat module.

3. Increase minimum Java version to Java 21 for Tomcat 11 and provide virtual thread functionality.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. It would be nice to provide virtual thread support to Tomcat 10.1 and earlier as well. That would require the JreCompat module.

I don't think this changes the Tomcat 11 plans.

Mark

I am currently leaning towards 3 but could live with 2.

Thoughts? Other options?

Mark

PS Option 3 will require updates to the CI systems - I am happy to take care of those.

PPS I don't think all of the current Loom module will make it into Tomcat 11. I am currently thinking to pull in the Executor and then provide a boolean option for the existing endpoints to switch the internal executor to Loom.