Hi all,

The latest HTTP/2 RFC (9113, June 2022) deprecates the use of HTTP upgrade to start an HTTP/2 clear text connection.

Interestingly, a range of vocabulary is used. Section 3.1 says it is "deprecated". Section 11.2 says it is "obsolete" and that "This capability has been removed.".

Given all the above, I did wonder about removing HTTP upgrade to h2c support from Tomcat 11.0.x.

The benefits of removing HTTP upgrade to h2c support are:
- Marginally less code (but we still need to retain support for the
  generic HTTP upgrade mechanism).

The disadvantages are:
- A lot of the HTTP/2 tests use h2c via HTTP upgrade and would need to
  be refactored. Most likely to use prior knowledge.
- Anyone currently relying on his feature (assumed to be a small number
  of users) would need to find a different solution.

Overall, continuing to support HTTP upgrade to h2c for Tomcat 11.0.x looks to be the best option. The costs of removing it are much greater than the benefits that would achieve and I don't see any risks associated with retaining the support.

Thoughts?