вт, 6 июн. 2023 г. в 13:43, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> devOn 02/06/2023 18:55, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > Mark,

I think that Chris wants to be able to trace origins of responses.
>From what servers they originated (and maybe what proxies it came
through).

"Adding a header" generally can be done by the well-known "urlrewrite"
filter. Or by mod_header at Apache HTTPD.

Is there any interest in implementing just "adding a header"?
Is it the logic of managing the "Via" header that makes it interesting?

BTW, specification of the Via header:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110.html#name-via

Generally, there will be other proxies in front of Tomcat. Woldn't it
be better to have the logic on those servers? It is rare to use Tomcat
itself as a proxy.

As a preceding example I am thinking about "Ray IDs" as used by Cloudflare:
https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/get-started/reference/cloudflare-ray-id/

Those are hashed.
It also looks like those IDs are assigned per-request. Essentially,
unique IDs for requests.

The general usage seems to be that the IDs are logged, and are
analyzed afterwards.

BTW, as an alternative, there exists the "Server" header, For an HTTP
connector it can be configured with "server" and
"serverRemoveAppProvidedValues" attributes on a Connector. It seems
that there is no configuration for an AJP Connector.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/config/http.html#Standard_Implementation

Specification:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110.html#name-server

Best regards,