On 15/09/2023 19:34, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

I tend to agree with sticking with 1.x. However, it appears I was underestimating somewhat when I said Tomcat had a "few" commits that 1.x didn't have.

I still think this is the way to go but there are ~3 years worth of commits to work through. Also, Tomcat has picked up some of the 2.x refactoring that will need to be reverted. It looks like this is going to take a while.

Yuck. That wasn't fun. The current position is:

- all branches are (roughly) aligned with the current FileUpload 1.x
- some 2.x refactoring (mainly the extraction of the Exceptions and the
  FileItemIteratorImpl) remains in the Tomcat forks
- Tomcat 10.1.x onwards has removed some additional unused code

I think there is some refactoring that could be done in FileUpload 1.x without breaking binary compatibility that would closer align Tomcat and FileUpload 1.x.

Given the previous changes in FileUpload we could probably back-port the additional code removal commits from 10.1.x to 9.0.x/8.5.x.

We could probably also revert any remaining refactoring changes Tomcat has that 1.x doesn't after the above changes.

I have a few checks I want to run, particularly around bug 65710, to make sure I haven't broken anything. Apart from any additional fixes those checks highlight, I don't plan on any further alignment work before the next release round.

I'm not convinced further alignment work (along the lines of the three points above) is beneficial right now. I may revisit that decision later if maintaining the current level of alignment proves difficult.